Triple Tree Steering Maintenance

Seawolf

Has anyone experience removing the bearing races from the house of the steering for a 1600 Nomad or other similar bike arrangement? I do not have a welder and would prefer not to use heat as the gas tank is there. Any help is appreciated.

My advice, pay the dealer. I know it's not the answer you're likely looking for but after doing my 1500 Nomad this winter I'd gladly pay to have it done. I took the entire front end off as I was servicing the forks as well and once I got to the races I found no matter what I tried I couldn't get enough of a bite with any type of punch, drift, screwdriver etc to knock the race out from the opposite side. Next i tried cutting the race enough to weaken it and perhaps brake it out with a cold chisel but lost my nerve when I started cutting into the actual seating area.

In the end I borrowed a welder and tacked in a couple of washers and drove them out that way, pretty simple at that point but by then I was tired of the situation and the $300 the dealer would have charged me seemed like a deal at that point.

Thanks for your info. I too thought WTF I'm I getting into. Luck would have it that I work with a millwright who is a wealth of ideas. Take a large bastard file with a tang handle and sharpen it. Then bend it to an angle that will just get into the top of the cone. Then with light taps on the end of the file proceed to tap out the cone (race). Once I found the correct bend to insert the sharp point into the gap the race came out easily. Wew :D:D:D . Good news all done and waiting on rear tire now.