A GPS for motorcycle touring.

Good Day all: I've been contemplating the purchase of a GPS for my motorcycle....I'm not too concerned about it having lots of points of interest etc....and it doesn't have to be a specific make FOR a motorcycle...

What I'm looking for is something that will "record" a trip....I tend to get on the bike and wander for hours on end (last time I ended up in Pembroke, that was an 8hour/41 minute trip) but I've always had to try and remember all the roads/routes I took (which I usually can't). I used google earth to draw my route using the path tool, and it took a very long time!

From what I've read, some of the GPS's record all the waypoints that they make (each time it updates it's location, which could be every 2 minutes or so...) and then the person can download those waypoints from a folder on the GPS on to their computer to map it out....

Is anybody up on this type of GPS usage?

Is this in any way related to the .gpx files I've heard other riders talking about providing before trips?

Any information appreciated and any model purchase advice also appreciated!

Bird.

I have a Garmin 40LM on my bike. I dont need waypoints, or the need to store routes. I punch in where I want to go and the GPS takes me there. I used www.gpscity.ca to buy the RAM mount.

Great company to deal with.

• 7 months later...

I use an app for my Blackberry called GPSData Logger II. This apps will only store waypoits, but when I get home, I add those to Google Maps and it plots my track. It's a free app.

My Garmin Zumo660 records tracks of everywhere I go (not that I'd noticed until a chapter member pointed it out.... derp).

I don't love everything about it but it does the job for now until the tech improves - car GPS are getting better at staggering rates, our relatively niche need keeps us behind, but we're about due for a leap forward.

• 1 month later...

I ended up purchasing a Garmin Zumo 550...it does the trick. It's an older model, no bells or whistles (no Bluetooth, no earphone jack) but it is waterproof and shock resistant and was really inexpensive!!! I paid 189.00, which is cheap for a motorcycle GPS.

I was thinking the same thing and have been looking for a "tracker" app for my phone (Android). I know runners/joggers/cyclists that use similar apps to track their progress. It would be nice to be able to load other people's gpx files and follow their route too. I have a couple of GPS units but I don't think they would import gpx routes, nor save them for that matter.

I've been following things at http://www.bikergeo.com where they have tons of routes all across north America. I haven't seen a forum or recommendations on software though.