Sea Foam

50 mile short cut

i was talking to a friend about sea foam he advised me that it is a cleaning agent and that i should change the oil after using sea foam . Is there any truth to this?

I thought sea foam was something you add to fuel for stabilizer ? Now I am confused too

your saying its added to oil as well ?

Sea Foam can be used in the oil also, likely a good idea to change the oil after it's run a bit, myself I only use it in the fuel every second or third tank fill up, Helps keep the fuel system clean. I've been told not to use it as a fuel stabilizer through the winter will deteriorate rubber O-rings etc. but so will fuel with ethanol :)

Hmmmmmm??? Just picked some up at Canadian Tire on sale for 9.99 thinking of using it as stabilizer??? when i winterize! is this a good idea or should i stay with the old Stabil red stuff???

I have been using it for 4 Years now...

All summer long every 5 to 10 tanks to keep things clean

In the fall when I park it for the winter

never had an issue when adding it to the gas.

Sea Foam is safe on o-rings and other rubber parts, such as when used as a fuel stabilizer, or regular fuel additive.

What you are talking about is when you add it to the oil to clean out your engine.

In that case, you only add a couple of ounces to the engine oil and ride the bike 'gently' for a couple hundred km and then drain the engine oil and change the oil filter.

You do not drain the oil because you use it in the fuel system, unless you forgot to turn off your petcock and the fuel has flooded your engine, but then you would have to change your oil anyways, regardless if you had any additive in your fuel, or not.

I have been using SeaFoam as a fuel stabilizer for the past 5 years/192,xxx kms with no issues what so ever.

Dusty

• 2 months later...

Seafoam is not a fuel stabilizer,,it is basically a cleaner. I would recommend using stabil over the winter. I have had very good results with seafoam,,first time i used it throttle response improved and i had to turn the idle down some. Couple yrs ago i had a 96 Windstar and the tranny acted up,,would not go above 2nd gear,,so i put about a third of a can of seafoam in,,almost immediately no more tranny problems.