Lowering a Sportster

2009 XL883C Sportster. Think I want to lower the bike 1 - 2 inches. The stock shocks on the bike are already the "lower version" and measure 11 1/2" eye to eye. What would be the best way to lower it. If I put 10 1/2" shocks on would the front have to come down as well? Just need my feet flat on the ground. I have a reduced reach seat on it now and that helps but would prefer a more solid stance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Some people are putting FL shocks on the rear of Sportsters. They will work with some washers or spacers to make it fit. This sill give the rear air suspension for better height and comfort level. I'm going to do this for my wife's bike during the winter.

FL shocks? I don't understand. Not very mechanically savy, :? so you have to dumb it down for me :lol: I've heard of progressive shocks, but they are to pricey I think.

FL shocks, I'm referring to the touring line of Harley's, mine FLHX Street Glide, FLT Road Glide etc. These bikes have rear suspension shocks on each side tied together for air suspension lines. Easy to put together, small air line tubes from shock to shock with a filler tip. You can adjust how much air you have for the ride comfort and other. I have seen some used ones out there for great prices, and can be easily be adapted to the Sportster.

What about these Burly Slammer kits.....shocks and fork springs in one package? Do you think just putting 10" shocks on would be ok, without touching the front end?

No and yes. You should lower the front as much as you lower the back or you will change the handling characteristics of the bike.

Has to do with trail in the front rim to axle dimensions, might make bike turn like a pig at speed or just the opposite might make it turn to fast and loose all stability.