My epic vagabond motorcycle adventure

Diesel

I have noted my upcoming trip in a few different threads - and thought that I would link my blog here as well. I have a GoPro Hero2 that I will be using to 'vlog' much of the adventure - and I am going to try to add to the blog daily. If anyone has any comments or suggestions please don't be shy to place them right on the blog - and feel free to click subscribe: posts(ATOM) at the very bottom of the blog.

I have linked my YouTube channel here as well. Come along for the ride - it is sure to be a great adventure!

http://what-i-have-learned-along-the-way.blogspot.ca/

http://www.youtube.com/user/1goldenjoe/videos

we will all be watching and coffee is on us when you get out here ..

• 4 weeks later...

Joe ... any way you choose to make your 'final route selection' will be 'all good'. Not many roads out there that aren't!

I know you'll be totally 'Blown Away', not just with the Rockies, but with the whole trip/experience. :mrgreen:

It'll open your eyes to a new, habitual way of 'cheap travel'! ;) This won't be the last time you'll ride out west. Next, you'll be eyeing up places in the US. ... especially the SW :o8-)

Have a safe and wonderful trip, my friend! - Dusty

Well, my trip is actually about to start - 1 day early I might add. A scheduling error at work has me off today and tomorrow - so I may as well start putting some distance in my rear-views, lol. I have decided to split my first day's travels - tomorrow afternoon is Ottawa to Algonquin Park, and Friday will bring me the rest of the way to Sault Ste. Marie. From there on out it is trial by fire baby. I hope to be in Calgary on the 5th of June - and Vancouver on the 8th or 9th.

Daily updates to the blog link in the OP.

Here we go!

hope you arent on the road yet but here is a travel advisory for all of BC

RAIN ... RAIN .. did I mention its RAINING ...

so just bring rally good rain gear ..

I will keep looking here to keep your location up

If we can get any of the chapters to step up and at least shake your hand and have a coffee

you see I know they will anyway and now they know they will as well ...*L* look forward to meting you and shaking your hand

if you keep us in your route loop perhaps we can hook up when you get closer to the WET coast and we can help you navigate the pitfalls of city ...

new video up for you to look at for route choices

see you soon

http://youtu.be/S9Uo93lnlSY

Well, I am in Sault Ste. Marie as planned for Friday night. The last 4 hours of riding were done in the pouring rain and 12 degree temperatures - a little chilly, you might say. Rain gear held up and did its job, and I am very happy to have purchased a pair of waterproof boot covers before I left Ottawa.

I hooked up with another CMC member - from Sarnia - here in Sault Ste. Marie - we will be riding to Calgary together from here - and I will update regularly.

Looking to be in Calgary on the 5th or 6th, and Vancouver on the 9th - so I will be more than happy to accept a CMC greeting and a coffee anywhere along the way.

Tonight finds me in Thunder Bay. I forgot to mention yesterday that I have hooked up with another CMC member from the 016 - stickman is joining me from Sault Ste. Marie to Calgary. Always nice to have a traveling partner, and being another CMC-er, we get along just fine, lol.

Well, we made it to Calgary this afternoon. It has been a really cool and interesting trip so far. I am not going to cover everything again here - I have kept the blog up to date. I will be posting a bunch of pictures either tonight or tomorrow - I will place the link in this thread afterwards.

I am covered in road dust and dead bugs - and I wouldn't have it any other way!

A special thanks to Stickman from Sarnia - 016 - for joining me in Sault Ste Marie and being my wing-man to Calgary. A good lad - I would ride with you anytime!

well now the pretty and the impressive part start through the Rockies

enjoy and and post to the Kamloops forum the 026

Crispy may be able to help you with routes motels etc

let us know when you are getting closer and we will have to get together

ride smart ride safe

Will do DrMucker - but it will be some time yet before I am in the Kamloops area. I will be leaving Calgary on Thursday evening and riding south down Cowboy trail through Cranbrook, Creston, Castlegar, through to Hope and then on to Vancouver over the course of a couple of days - camping along the way.

I will keep this thread as up to date as WiFi hot-spots allow, lol.

Ok - I have managed to update my blog and my photobucket page. Had to go to McDonalds to do it, but what are ya' gonna do, right.

For those with no interest in reading the blog - here is a link to the photobucket page:

http://photobucket.com/EpicMotorcycleAdventure

Those of you following the blog, the link is in the opening post.

The photobucket page will be categorized better eventually - maybe sub-albums by region. For now, please bear with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have left Vancouver and am back on the road and into the mountains once again. I have ridden some absolutely incredible roads and taken tons of pics.

Most recent are: http://photobucket.com/backontheroad

If you go to this link, all of the different sub-albums are listed on the right hand side of the page about half-way down:

http://photobucket.com/EpicMotorcycleAdventure

Updated blog can be found here: http://what-i-have-learned-along-the-way.blogspot.ca/

What a journey, and only 10 days left.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joe

Read ur blog. Surprised me to find out how many of the same roads we were on at different times. Glad ur bike gave no trouble dispite funny sounds. I had a flat coming into Kenora, so had a much needed rest there. Boots worked just fine when there is no rain.

I put on 10800 km. got home last thurs. Looking forwrd to my next trip, down east in Aug maybe.

Take care

Stickman 016 Sarnia

Hey - Stickman! - good to hear from you man. Wow - what a trip - 13,600kms - and no real issues at all. All of the noise / vibration was chain and sprockets related - had the chain tightened 3 times during the adventure - got new sprockets and chain installed as soon as I got home.

I will definitely be heading back out west some time - but my next big one is going to be the Cabot Trail next summer. Probably in late August.

Heading to Port Dover on Thursday, July 12 with a bunch of members from the 011. Are you going?

Hey Joe glad you made it back home safe

it was great meeting you and hope we can share a meal and some good words again soon

from everyone in the 056 we were sorry your visit was so short but glad you got to meet some us

You and anyone wearing the madison will always be welcome here ..

just let us know when you are coming west

ride safe -- ride smart

Glad you had a 'memorable' trip, Joe!

It's a ride like that that awakens the soul and the mind to new discoveries, both external and internal.

Too bad about the weather, as I told you beforehand that is the 'wet period', but it all adds/makes for an adventure to be remembered, right? ;)

Cheers to your safe arrival back home - Ken

Thank you for the well wishes and welcome back's everyone. It is good to be home. Got a short 9 or 10 hour ride to Port Dover coming up next week - woo-hoo!