01 Vulcan 1500 FI slipping clutch

Guest Jetmec

Guest Jetmec

Hello everyone!! I am having an issue with a slipping clutch on my Dads 01 Vulcan 1500 FI. It is slipping real bad both on the top end and bottom end. After asking the great and powerful goggle and doing some reading it sounds like it might just be a clutch spring that is worn out. At any rate I will check the thickness of the friction plates and the steel plates and I will do a good inspection of the complete assyembly, as I don't think I really want to do this job twice.

In regards to the clutch spring, if that is what it turns out to be, I have read on the net that some guys have changed from the original clutch spring and went with a Mean Streak clutch spring. Has anyone tried that? And if so did you notice any difference? I am a little skeptical about deviating from the original equipment, and I really don't always trust everything I read off of the net. Any insight who be greatly appriciated. Also if you have any tips on doing this job please let me know. I consider myself mechanically incline and I don't feel this is too complicated but I will admit that this is going to be the largest task I have ever done on a bike.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks

Rob

Most times with the Vulcan all that is required is the clutch spring (plate). Usually the friction and steel plates are okay and re useable. You will need an impact gun to remove the nut holding the spring.

I have the gasket, used clutch plates and some new steel plates if you are interested. These were purchased for a 1600 but I believe they are the same. Check ronayers.com for their microfiche with part numbers.

Slipping clutch? Also what kind of oil is used, make sure it is designed for motor cycles as Car oil sometimes has an additive in them that make them sliprier(spelling?), but make the clutch slip in motorcycles. Use a grade of Motorcycle oil only.

• 4 weeks later...

Google VROC, Vulcan Riders and owners club there is just about everything you need to know on this site about Vulcans, also step by step instructions in the tech section. Good Luck.