small tip on engine oil contaminats

Hello everyone just a little tip that was passed on to me from a great friend and mentor of my muscle car hobby.

Very simply the use of a magnetic drain plug for your crank case well that is just great a fantastic invention. however I go a step further I stick a magnet from a small speaker on my oil filter to catch any small metal particles that are floating around in the oil. That way when I change my oil the unwanted elements are in the filter. and is one less thing to clean. just make sure to retain the magnet before discarding the old oil filter.

and if looks are a concern I have seen some really good strong shiny chrome magnets at Princess auto that would work really good. my filter is hidden well on the vulcan so no issues like that. I have been doing this for years. and it is something very inexpensive and it does work great. especially on newer machines as parts are still breaking in and the initial wear is more because of tight tolerances.

take care all

and enjoy

I have heard of this before but it didn't make alot of sense to me because isn't catching things the job of the oil filter? The magnetic drain plugs will at least grab some of what might settle in the oil pan. However I have never used either.

Just another time we need a ex-u for a opinion :cry::cry::cry::cry:

He would probably create rider activated magnet in the oil fill hole using a snap lighter from a bbq. Easy to remove and clean between oil changes. :lol:

Or save all the pieces weld them back together and make engine for a scooter :roll::roll::lol::lol::lol:

you are right about it being the filters job however i have cut open a filter with a magnet on it from my GTO after 4000 miles and found quite a bit of metal filings that the magnet caught. now if anything it could help the oil filter to be more eficient longer. which in turn the engine benifits as well.

anyway it doesn't cost anything and however small the benefits it most certainly isn't gonna hurt nothing.

Regards Santo :|

I cut my filters at every oil change. The purpose of the filter is twofold. Yes it is there to catch metal and prevent it from going back through the engine but it is also there as an indicator of the condition of your engine. If you cut open your filter and find metal then something is wrong and at that point it is getting WORSE.

90% of the time the metal in my filter is non ferrous (non magnetic) usually Aluminum. A magnet will no catch this stuff.

There are many components that wear over time an make metal. The important part is knowing where the metal is comming from. Changing the oil and filter regularily is great but it does not mean you are fixing worn parts. As the parts wear more and more they will wear faster and faster as the friction between the parts increases and no oil will slow it down.

if you find ferrous metal filings in your oil then you are wearing out something important like a bearing. Aluminum is nore akin to a cluch part or aother replacable unit. In other words Magnetic shavings = bad non magnetic shavings = not so much.