Pipes

Hotrod

Just installed my first set of vance and hines cruisers on my 2008 honda shadow aero 750. Also have k&n air filter.Fired it up and it seems to be idling great. No backfiring or pinging. Sounds like a bigger bike. Do I need to rejet? I checked on line. Some say to rejet right away and others say to ride for a while first then and see what the plugs say. I was told to ride for a while first when the weather clears up then check the plugs. I don't want to hurt the engine. Thanks for help in advance

I am no mechanic, but I installed pipes on my bike 2 years ago without any fuel processor or jetting whatsoever and things seem fine. The only thing I notice is the odd time some poppimg on deceleration. For the cost of adding on the fuel kits, I can live with the popping. People from other sites have told me not to worry, things will be fine.

Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking what is your bike and is it fuel injected? Mine is carb. Just had my bike running again for a few and throttle responce seems to be right there.

If you have no hesitation or major backfiring,you are probably fine.Your best bet is to take the bike for a ride (when it fit) and pull a plug and check to be sure your not running lean.

:)8-)

If you have replaced your pipes with pretty much stright thru V&H's there shouldn't be any issue with fuel/air mixture however if you have installed a high flo air filter at the same time you should replace the carb's jets with a larger size. Not only will your bike engine run better but you will notice a big increase in horsepower.....I haven't heard of anyone around these parts changing pipes AND hi flo air filter without haveing to do an adjustment to the fuel mixture weather its carbed or injected...I have a HD softtail injected and I want to do what you,ve done but on top of the cost of the filter and pipes ( approx. $1000+ ) it needs to be remapped which was $300 last year, so it ain't cheap......hope this helps, let me know how it goes cause my wife has a 750 shadow and wants V&H's pipes too..Dudley

Thanks everyone for the help. My mechanic is the one that told me I would probably be all right. I'll post how it goes when the weather clears up and I can ride around a little bit. P.S. Dudley you'll have to get your wife some pipes. Makes the 750 sound every bit as big as 1100 or 1300 if not bigger.

yea I know, and she does too , so I have to wait for mine lol...I tried drilling out the back of the exhaust and it sounds OK but no where near what the V&H's sound like. Which ones did you buy? I like the large radious short staggard ones....

Tried drilling my pipes last year. Lost back pressure and power. Ended up welding over the holes. I bought the Cruisers because if my wife comes for a ride, I thout the shorter pipes might be too noisy for her. They stop right in front of the back seat. Be ok for a single rider I think. My original thought was the short shots but I didn't buy them for that reason. But very happy with the cruisers.

• 1 year later...

Just got my 2004 Road star this year all stock.  Change the pipes for the big shot V&H's & installed a Pro r Hypercharger,  the 2 came with suggested jet resetting.  I stayed with the pipes jetting and the thing is like a rocket now.  need balance in fuel & air flow not to damage the engine.  Hope this helps!

I havean04/ 1500 Vulcan Classic.

I have had Cobra Long Shots on it since new with no other changes.

Great sound and no problems.