It is with great pride that I announce our CMC family is growing once again! This time we are welcoming our newest chapter into the fold! With relentless effort from Bill Boyd Irma and Marilyn Denyer please welcome CMC 093 Nackawic NB to the CMC!! Congrat ×

650/ 750 maxim Exhaust

Mr_D

I have located an exhaust system of a 82 650 maxim. Do we have an expert in the group that can tell me if it would fit onto my 83 750 Maxim

Guest Tomahawk

It should fit Maxim's were a pretty generic bike. Just measure the head ports and the distance between the header pipes to see if it will bolt up. It should tho

I was concerned about possible baffling and extra back pressure from the larger 750 engine over a 650 it come off

Guest Tomahawk
I was concerned about possible baffling and extra back pressure from the larger 750 engine over a 650 it come off

That won't be an issue. Those bikes arrn't tuned that tight. Yamaha focused most of it's attention back in those days to the intake induction YCIS. Exhaust was almost an after thought. A poorly functioning intake system will cause much more headache on those bikes than a minor exhaust switch.

Without looking up the specs for each bike I can't say for sure but the compression ratio's and all that other tech stuff is probably very similar on each bike. They were near identical except for cylinder size

Also with pipes and bikes that age nothing is pristine anymore. After the change have the carbs sync'd up and it should breathe fine

Good Luck

Tom

Guest Tomahawk
years ago I came across the same question the exhaust will work just fine the back pressure is exactly the same on the 750 as the 650 if I remember right the part number on the bell bottom is the same for both bikes.

That would'nt surprise me at all. Yamaha was kinda cheap that way many parts fit many different bikes from those years. We could build a johnny cash maximcadilac lol

To all who have helped me with information A deep hearted thankyou. You are an awsome group of people.

• 5 months later...

The exhaust of the 82 650 is far differnt then the 750. The 750 narrows up really narrow and tucks under the engine. It looks like the fram is even different under. I tried to put the exhaust on today and when trying to get things lined up the chromed section that goes under the engine is outside the frame and hits the pivot point and wont allow the exhaust to settle up where it needs to go. There is 75 bucks wasted. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Well so now it is hack and patch time with the used 650 exhaust to salvage the 750 exhaust. Have since learned the 750 and 550 have interchagble exhaust but the 650 is a wider exhaust under the engine and the headers drop straight done and the pipes go straight back but the 750 exhaust the headers taper in and the go under the engine is the collecter box and the flare out on angles to clear everything at the back.. Not buying an exhaust so patch time is the only option.