It is with great pride that I announce our CMC family is growing once again! This time we are welcoming our newest chapter into the fold! With relentless effort from Bill Boyd Irma and Marilyn Denyer please welcome CMC 093 Nackawic NB to the CMC!! Congrat ×

1999 VulcanNomad - intermittent starting problem

DonRon

For the past day I've been having an intermittent starting problem. When trying to start the bike sometimes I get a high speed whirring noise when the clutch is out, and if I pull the clutch in I get a single quiet kathunk. The noise seems to be coming from low on the right side. However other times it starts up A-OK. When it doesn't start though no amount of coaxing will make it go, had to push start it to get it running. It's done it 3 times now and always of course miles from civilization. I took it into the shop and naturally it starts up perfectly there. I've left it overnight and he'll try it again in the morning to see if he can reproduce the starting problem. Although he said he's not positive, he says his guess is the starter clutch, but of course that's a major disassemble to get at it. Anyone have any other suggestions of what to look for first before I have it ripped apart? I'd rather not rip it apart on just a guess and then find it something much simpler in the first place.

This points to the Starter engagement solenoid failing. The Starter is not engaging the "flywheel" so the motor just spins with no load. My guess is bad starter or solenoid.

Well after 2 days in the shop, they couldn't replicate the starting problem. I've got it back and (fingers crossed) it's started fine every time since. Time will tell I guess.

Guest Tomahawk

Just a little suggestion from a bad experience I had. I was having starting issues on an 1100 Kawasaki inline 4.

I put all new cables ,rebuilt the starter ,cut the comm as stated above,new solenoid. I get on one night and a click thunk and nothing.

The battery seemed fine had lights and everything. I really didn't think it was the battery but I replaced it last after spending hundreds and never had another problem. So long story short if your Battery is more than a few years old try changing it before you start tearing it apart. those batteries are pretty small for the amperage they must deliver. At very least have it load tested maybe.

Good Luck

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well oddly enough they didn't replace anything. The bike spent a weekend in the shop, and he couldn't replicate the starting problem. I picked it up, and it's now almost 2 months later and no recurrence of the problem. It simply went away. The first couple of weeks after I got it back, I was apprehensive every time I went to start it, that it would happen again, but nope - it starts fine. Chalk it up to "gremlins" I guess.