OVERHEATING

I have a 2005 Harley heritage softail with a 1450 cc motor.my problem is that if I have to idle in traffic for a few minutes in warmer weather the bike really overheats & starts to cough out.Any suggestions on what I can do to remedy this,or is this something I have to put up with.Thanks.

Hey STONE,thanks for the reply.Unfortunately it's the newer models that have this feature,mine doesn't do that.

my wife's 81 gold wing does the same thing, had the mechanic put a switch in to make the fan run manually

Have you tried putting on and oil cooler, also is your bike jetted for the screamin eagle pipes you put on.

Bike could be running lean, starving for gas when styff gets hot.

Greg

Yes the newer models like mine will shut down the rear cylinder on extended period of time or I can force it by twisting the throttle forward for 3 seconds.

But even mine in very hot weather you can hear the engine changing in running, the rythym of the engine will change. Check the plugs, how old is the oil and what oil are you using. Most Harleys should run on 20W50 with this warm weather.

Thanks everyone for your tips.I install new plugs every year,use Syn3 oil ,I change my oil every 8000km.Dealer said it could be defective plug wires breaking down with the heat,will change them this week.I'm also looking at an aftermarket cooling fan I located online,I have to fix this problem before it becomes major .

• 2 weeks later...

The bike is air cooled. If the air is hot cooling is reduced. if the air is humid it is reduced even further. Hot humid air has a very low density and with no flow over the engine there is almost zero cooling taking place. While the lean possibility mentioned earlier may contribute as can other factors it is likely that the bike is just gettin too hot naturally. On harleys or other air cooled bikes nothing compares to the wind in the fins

My bet is that Rock'n has you covered.Check your air/fuel mixture first.Harleys are set to run lean from the factory.Richen up your mix first to see if that helps.Oil cooler is never a bad idea either.

making a mixture richer when it's hot will make the bike run worse. Think of pulling on the choke when the engine is hot and what happens.

When I know I'm going to be sitting in traffic sitting still I shut the bike off, restart when I'm going to move again.

Check to see if the air filter is clean as a dirty filter will make the bike run rich and possibly run poor.

Donald

I don't think the bike is running poorly , just overheating. A carb adding more fuel will make it run cooler,

but with not enough air it will run roughly, or more poorly, from a performance point of view.

Doug did't give very much info to go on like did he get new spark plugs that run hotter for eg. It was just a

thought, and what does he call overheating to begin with, I know Doug and he is very particular about his ride

like most of are.