Brake/Clutch fluid change

Blaine

The biggest concern when changing brake & or clutch fluid is keeping air out of the system.Bleeding the system is easier with two people,but can be done with one person.Before starting make sure you have the proper grade of fluid, marked on the cover of master cylinder,usually a DOT 4.Standard fluid & Synthetic fluid do not mix!You will need a jar & a length of tubing that will fit on the bleeder tightly.Put some brake fluid in the jar,put the tubing on the bleeder and into the jar,be sure tubing is in fluid.Pump lever or pedal a few times and hold down,open bleeder at the same time.pedal or lever will sink to bottom,as dirty fluid is expelled into jar,close bleeder before releasing lever or pedal.Repeat until clean fluid is flowing into jar.Make sure to keep level in reservoir full at all times.Be careful not to spill any fluid on painted surfaces as it will strip paint in a short time .Good luck. :) :)I hope this helps,as I can show someone a lot easier,than I can put my thoughts into words. 8-);)

As for clutch, I think your bike has "wet clutch" meaning it's lubricated/oiled by engine oil. Whenyou take care of engine oil, at a same time clutch is taken care of.

If your bike has a hydraulic clutch system(no cable), then you will need to bleed that out as you would your brake system, as described above by blaine.

To make the job a lot easier for 1 person to do it, installing some Speed Bleeders makes the job a lot quicker/easier. If you don't bleed out these systems, the fluid gets dirty, absorbs water and gets a build up of 'gunk' inside which can block the small return orifice in the Master Cylinder, severly degrading brake/clutch performance.

Some motorcycles(like my Goldwing) have what's known as a 'linked' brake system. That's where the rear brake system is 'linked' to one of your front brake calipers. When I apply my rear brake pedal, it not only activates the rear brake, but it also works the front left brake caliper. If this is the case on your bikes braking system, you need to find out which caliper it activates, and start bleed your rear brake system on that front caliper 1st. When that is bled, you them bleed the rear one. You always start bleeding the system with the caliper that's furthest away from the master cylinder.

Always use a new, unopened container of brake fluid. Once opened, the brake fluid will absorb moisture, lowering the boiling point of the brake fluid.

I put a lot of kilometers on my bike yearly and I bleed the clutch system every year and the brakes every other year. Not hard to do, at all.

Dusty

As for clutch, I think your bike has "wet clutch" meaning it's lubricated/oiled by engine oil. Whenyou take care of engine oil, at a same time clutch is taken care of.

You are correct.I was thinking of a bike with a slave cylinder insted of a clutch cable. :)8-)