for you that use Fram oil filters

Fireden

If you are using Fram try Wix oil filters, I use Wix 51358 on my vulcan 1500 because I read others had a problem with the cardboard element inside the Fram breaking up and ending up in the engine. I think Fram is about the worst oil filter you can buy here's the wix filter look-up

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/motorcycle.asp

do i work for wix? no, do i make money if you buy a wix? no, do I think Fram is a good filter? no, do i think Fram is well made? no, do i think Fram oil filters are crap? yes

why do you think Fram is the only filter you can get at Wal-Mart? just take a guess

I am not a Fram employee or shareholder, I do and have used Fram filters in all sorts of vehicles for years, so I guess I am very curious on where this information is posted or available to read.

Again, just curious if Fram is that bad it is news to me, but then again I don't get out much :(;):(:(

Guest AeroNorth

As far as I know, the Fram filters that WalMart sells are made in Mexico, but there are Fram filters out there that are made elsewhere. Check the box.

Apparently Fram also makes the Pennzoil, Penske, Castrol, & Quaker State filters.

Regardless, I have yet to find a WalMart in this neck of the woods that carries even one type or size of oil filter for any bike. It is just not a market they are into here.

• 1 year later...

I too have used Fram filters in everything I own. I change my oil regularily and as a matter of habit (I am an Aircraft engineer after all) I cut open the filters to see if there is any metal accumulation at all. I have NEVER see any failure of the filter ir the cardboard relief valve. (actually the motorcycle filter valve is not cardboard and has a lower relief pressure).

I can see where there is a possibility that the cardboard valve will break down but in 20 years I still have never seen it happen. I have read all the hype on the net and in the forums about Fram filters and how they are evil but have never experienced it. I will be pulling the filter from my car next weekend for an oil change and again will cut it open for inspection. I do not expect to find any deterioration in 10,000Km.

Believe NONE of what you hear and only half of what you see.

• 1 year later...

Like any product made in mass production you are going to find a defective product. I am sure there are those out there that have had defective Wix products. I to have used Fram for decades. And Fram motorcycle Filters used to be made in Stratford for a long time till they packed up shop in a Global relocation.

This is an interesting article, I have a close friend who worked at the factory in Stratford for years and you would be surprised at all the filters that are made the same and labled different, for example he claimed Matercraft filters are much the same as Fram. I too have used Fram for years in my cars, trucks and motorcycles and have never had a problem with them, thats what I am using now and will probably continue to use them. No matter what product you buy there is always a possibility of getting something defective. Just my two cents worth.