Changing tire on the rim

johnnyb

Ok I need some help, how many of you have changed a tire on a rim?

I just purchased two new tires for an amazing deal and need them installed.

Wow after doing some asking around the local dealers here in the Ottawa area they charge $35 - $45 to change a tire even if you buy from them (this is the rim off the bike). My dealer will do it for free if you buy the tire from them but their prices are out of this world (for example Metzler ME 880 WWW Rear Ottawa $240.00 my dealer $320.00). So I have been doing some research on the net and watched lots of videos and it seems straight forward but I come to you the pros and ask have you ever done it before and if so how difficult was it.

I can purchase tire irons (3 piece and rim protectors) for $27.00 seems to me they will pay for themselves first time I use them. I was always told the more you can do to your bike yourself the better it is. “Become one with your bike” :lol: LOL :lol:

So any advice and pointers will be appreciated.

I know and have changed a few on dirt nad a set for a rd350 zingzing.

Greg

Let me know when they come in , if you want we can practice on my front.

I've done hundreds, all with a machine.

Are you doing a tube tire, or non tube?

I'll give you some more tips once you tell me what kind of tire you are doing.

CMC price for a tire change is $17.50 (wheel off of bike)

Tire on bike is $35 for a front, rear depends on if it is a Goldwing :)

Platinum Powersports also has admazing tire prices, and I can ship it right to your door.

Donald

Dyna beads the only way to fly.

Just got 2 new tires on my bike and went with Dyna beads. No more weights on the spokes :)

Den

from Dunlops website, they will not warranty a tire that

"Tires injected with dry/liquid balancers or sealants, or in which anything other than air has been used as the support medium. "

Dynabeads will negate your tire warranty with Dunlop

from the Metzeler site

WHEEL BALANCING

Elastic bodies like tyres cannot be produced absolutely round without imbalance. Therefore always balance after fitting a new tyre. There are two methods: Static and dynamic balancing. Static balancing can be made without spinning wheel. Dynamic balancing can only be made with a rotating wheel and measures also the deviation of masses in respect to the wheel centre plane. METZELER recommends dynamic balancing for rims over 2.5-inch width.

Caution: To avoid the danger of air leakage use only weights that are recommended from the motorcycle manufacturer like spoke nipple weights, lead wire or self-adhesive rim weights. METZELER does not recommend the use of liquid balancers or liquid balance/sealers. METZELER does not give warranty for tyres into which these have been injected .

-----------------------------------------------------

from the Bridgestone site

Tire Balance

Bridgestone does not recommend the use of liquid or dry balancers or sealants. Bridgestone will not warranty any tire which has been injected with these materials.

make your own decision, but mine is swayed by what the manufactures recommend

Donald

Thank you all for your advice and tips. I have decided to go for it and do it myself. I just watched several videos on balancing the tires so that look easy enough. I will be picking up both the spoke nipple and stick on rim weighs today while I am out. I hate to ask but the only thing I have not found information on is resetting the bead. At what air pressure are you using to reset the bead?

Once again thanks for the information, not only does it save money but makes me that more useful.

I find it odd that They say "Anything other than air" Aircraft tires have used dry nitrogen for decades. Cars are now using nitrogen more and more as well and is approved by many of the big tire manufactures for aircraft and cars. Personally I see no real advantage to it but hey if you want to PAY for air in your tires go ahead.

As for the Dyna beads I think the testamonials I have heard would sway me in that direction since everyone I have spoken to that uses them LOVES them.

Considering that air is 78% nitrogen I don't think that they are suggesting to not use nitrogen.

99% of my customers decide against dynabeads when they learn the following.

1. it costs more (dynabeads are not free, electronic balancing at my shop is)

2. it invalidates your warranty

I've talked to a dynabeads rep at length before and he told me not to use them in high speed bikes as they can stop faster than the dynabeads can react due to their momentum. Aren't most bikes capable of this?

Draw your own conclusions, I'll put in the dynabeads if you want.

Donald

As far as who has the best deal we all seem to have our own preference :) For me I would recommend Don at SOS MOTORCYCLE TIRES & ACCESSORIES

AMSOIL SYNTHETIC LUBRICANTS. Best price on tires and installation. Yes I did check else where for prices. Even if there had been a couple $ difference, it wasn't just the price but the service and the care taken when working on my ride :) .

Den