Battery fluid

1BadApple

my battery looks low on fluid. can I just add distilled water until the chambers are topped up?

anything I should know before doing this?

thanks

Lisa

yes you can

Make sure the vent line is not plugged before taking off a battery cap

Donald

my battery looks low on fluid. can I just add distilled water until the chambers are topped up?

anything I should know before doing this?

thanks

Lisa

Lisa the other thing is, if you get any battery fluid on you (or even corrosion crud) make sure you wash it right away with lots of soap and water. Battery acid doesn't always feel as if it is burning right away but it eats at your skin before you feel it. Also watch your clothes, obviously.

No smoking near an open battery or other have other ignition sources nearby. Batteries emit hydrogen gas...very very flammable...remember seeing films of the Hindenburg go boom?

Sorry to scare you, we all meant an ounce of prevention!!!

Lisa it's not that bad. On these little bateries it will be okay. Just take your time and add a little distilled water to it. You can wear gloves and saftey Glasses. But I have never has a problem and will add it for you if you like

Tom

Lisa just take your time and you will be fine or call me and I'll do it It takes five to ten minutes to do

I will put on some full body amour ;) and try and fill it myself tomorrow. If I chicken out, I'm calling you :)

I know we all like to pitter patter at things, but some things should be left to the professionals and pay a few bucks or a friend that knows wha they're doin'!!

AGM batteries are absorbed glass mat

They are not 'gel' batteries but almost everyone calls them that.

AGM batteries use acid just like non sealed batteries but don't need acid added for the life of the battery

here is an interesting read

http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/01.Type/index.html

Donald

I just got a new 18AH glass mat battery, one of those gel filled ones that are then sealed at the top, no need to add water, no spillage, no gases. Bought it from my dealer but it's not cheap. My old gel filled 14AH one lasted 5 1/2 yrs.