GPS (update)

BiggyD

I have been reading over the posts on "installing" a GPS to my bike. These questions may have been already addressed but I'll ask anyway.

I have a new one but it is for a car, does that really matter? Is there much to mounting/installing to the bike?

I have never used a GPS so this is all new to me :? . All and any advise is appreciated :)

Thanks

Den

From what I've read the RAM motorcycle mounts are popular. http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/Motor ... fault.aspx

If you need to hard wire the power, it would be like hard wiring any other motorcycle accessory.

I read about those on another post. Sounds like the way to go unless I just fab something up. It is the vibration I am concerned about. Quite a few transparent covers available to keep it dry.

Den

I have a TomTom 720 that I mounted with Ram mount Parts, what I do is carry a couple of elastic bands and a plastic sandwich bag, if it is raining I just slip the bag over my TomTom and snap th elastics over to hold it in place.

Think I'll stick with the Baggy. :lol:

The "baggy" idea is good, can always carry a few extra in case I lose one :o From what I have been told, the GPS stays charged for quite a while. Should I still wire in a cigarette lighter/plug in anyway?

I have a Garmin and I bought the Ram mount at the motorcycle show at the International Centre. Just tell them the model and make of your GPS and they will supply you with the correct mount.

I installed a cigarette lighter and I have not had any problems in the past two years. My GPS is for a car but it works perfect on my bike.

When you buy a cigarette lighter make sure that it has a spring mounted cover so no water will get in it if you have nothing plugged into it.

Hope this helps.

If you are going to the bike show at the International centre in Jan. you will be able to buy a Ram mount there. Mine cost $30.00

Thanks for all the info. :D Really has helped me out and I appreciate the suggestions :). Figure I'll go with the lighter and cover, the Ram mount and carry some baggies with me. :)

Den

Not much I can't do with a computer but the GPS is something Ill just have to figure out how to work :lol: OH well, got all winter to fool around with it.

When you start using your GPS be prepared for a learning curve. They aren't always quite what you expect. We found it was good to turn on the GPS when going on familiar routes and listen to the commands/watch the map...get used to it.

The only thing we found a challenge on the bike is shading the screen so the sun doesn't wash out the display. We have no really good solution to that problem.

Na just run with it.LOLOL it's a blast you think your lost but your not. It's fun.

K8 is right they do take a bit to learn their little quirks. And each brand behaves a little different from another.

Somtimes we like to go out with two different units and see how they act differently it's goofy reallly

Have fun 8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

Well, I never had any real interest in getting a GPS. I still like to pull over and look at a map when I'm on a trip with the bike :o A friend got two for Christmas and rather than take one back he is giving me one at no cost :D so how can I say no. I think I will prob. use it more when in a town and looking for a certain location. As far as going on a chapter run, that's why we have road captains, they will get us to our destination :D:D It is just another toy and as we all know, you can never have too many toys :lol:

Den

My wife and I both have Garmin Zumo 550 GPS for our bikes. The "all singing all dancing" model. We've not played with them much last year, but once I wire them up to the bikes, we'll use them quite often. The only caution I would advise anyone about using a GPS is to always, always, always have a map. Before we set out anywhere, we do a map recce, and we always have a map handy so that we can see the big picture. The GPS is great for street level guidance, but it's no substitute for a map.

I have a Garmin and I bought the Ram mount at the motorcycle show at the International Centre. Just tell them the model and make of your GPS and they will supply you with the correct mount.

I installed a cigarette lighter and I have not had any problems in the past two years. My GPS is for a car but it works perfect on my bike.

When you buy a cigarette lighter make sure that it has a spring mounted cover so no water will get in it if you have nothing plugged into it.

Hope this helps.

If you are going to the bike show at the International centre in Jan. you will be able to buy a Ram mount there. Mine cost $30.00

Mine is a Sanyo "easy street" NVM 4320 and the Ram site doesn't list a mount for mine. I'll keep looking cause I should be able to find something. I had no idea it was a $300 GPS when she gave it to me so I want to make sure I use it. I do like that it has a head phone jack.

From what I've read the RAM motorcycle mounts are popular. http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/Motor ... fault.aspx

If you need to hard wire the power, it would be like hard wiring any other motorcycle accessory.

Thanks for posting the site. Contacted them and Ram does have what I need :) My model isn't specifically listed but once I gave them the measurements, they matched the right GPS cradle with the mount. Buy in Canada, $61, in U.S. $77

Thanks for helping me out guys :)

Den

Thanks SNAFU for hooking me up with the Ram Mount site :) Received it today and am very pleased. Very well made.The cradle they recommended holds the GPS very tight. Recommended I buy from Canadian distributor to save money :) GPS City Canada ( Calgary ) is where I ended up buying. They gave me 10% off and sent it 2day shipping at no cost to me.

Now just need to install a plug in for it.

Life is good :D

I'm glad I could help BiggyD. I have a GPS too and I enjoyed all of it's features, but I still get lost sometimes. :oops:

The first thing you'll notice is that the speed of on your GPS is different than your speedometer. My speedometer generally reads 5 to 8 kmph slower.

• 5 weeks later...

Bit late on this but for power outlets check the automotive electrical aisle at Canadian Tire ... they have the ones with the spring loaded cover as well ... mounted mine last year and it hasn't had an issue .... and trust me it's been WET!!!!! and snowed/hailed on :( ... guess that's what I get for riding with Kingpin in June ;)

Bit late on this but for power outlets check the automotive electrical aisle at Canadian Tire ... they have the ones with the spring loaded cover as well ... mounted mine last year and it hasn't had an issue .... and trust me it's been WET!!!!! and snowed/hailed on :( ... guess that's what I get for riding with Kingpin in June ;)

Thanks Andy, I was figuring were to get the " spring loaded cover" so that helps. I'm not one to run all over town looking for what I need :) . Between the rain and washing the bike, gotta keep the water out.

Thanks again :)

I use the lunch bag also on my TOMTOM. Also on my satellite radio. Works great. I used to use the mount that came with it. Put the sticky backed plate on my false tank cover with the cushion cup holder. Never had it ever let go. Now I have a handle bar mount that a wing rider friend of mine gave me last yr. Haven't had a whole lot of chance's to try it yet.