seafoam fuel treatment

Shadowace

anyone had any luck with "seafoam" ? just got some to try in my 79 goldwing that hasn't been on the road for 3 years. put some in my vulcan after taking it out of storage.

I have used "seafoam" for the past two winters when I store my bike for the winter. Seems to work okay.

anyone had any luck with "seafoam" ? just got some to try in my 79 goldwing that hasn't been on the road for 3 years. put some in my Vulcan after taking it out of storage.

I put a can thru my 1999 wing this year on a suggestion from Don from Platinum Powersports after I was inquiring about rebuilding my carbs. Seems to have made a noticable difference so far,on cold startups and idling. I was running a dribble of Marvel Mystery Oil in gas, which Don recommended has suggested not to bother with on newer engines. Have only put 500 km on so far, half of that was with a tank of expensive 2008 gas.

Guest Callan

I used it on my old Virago after the previous owner had left it sitting for a few years. If you have neighbours that mind white smoke all over the place, I'd say stay away!! But it saved me a carb cleaning. Before the seafoam, I had to keep my choke half-open all the time to get the thing to idle, but afterwards, it ran perfectly.

A word of caution: tank liners and seafoam don't get along too well, so if you've lined your tank with Kreem or another product, double check with the manufacturer if seafoam will loosen or dissolve it. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it at Carquest and heard Napa also has it. Used it in my 1500fi Nomad this year,,good results, smoother idle and gr8 throttle response. Even had to turn idle down a little.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dudester55

I use Seafoam to store my bike for the winter, and I also put in about 6 oz's at every second tankful throughout the summer. It's great stuff, gives me better MPG, and keeps my carb clean on my 2003 1500 Vulcan Classic. Just add 2 ozs of Seafoam/ gallon of fuel, in my case, 4.2 gallons = 8 ozs.

I too have installed a K&N air filter, and I find the bike has a bit more zip, and cold starts are much better than before.

• 5 months later...
Guest Dudester55

Well after doing some intensive research on Seafoam, I now believe that Seafoam is NOT a good thing to use when storing a motorcycle, and perhaps even other machines, for a long period of time of 3 months or more. The reason is, apparently one of the additives in Seafoam is nafta, which according to what I've read, doesn't do the engine any harm, but it will cause rubber to rot, (e.g. rubber tubes or gas lines) causing them to leak !

However, for cleaning your injectors or carbs, using seafoam through the rubbers hoses does not create a thread, and will do what it's intended to do, which is basically to clean the inside of your gas system and engine. This should be done at least once a month on your bike, or at every 4 gas fill ups, using the 2oz per gallon measurement. Just use it when you know you'll be burning it by riding.

According to the article, the very best thing to buy for motorcycles etc. when you have to put your bike away for winter storage, is good ole CanEHdian Tire Sta-bil.

So, I will taking a ride tomorrow, to get rid of any Seafoam in my tank and gas line. Then I will refuel with the 8 oz's of Sta-bil. Should be good to go come Spring.

For any of you who want to keep on using Seafoam for storing your bikes, by all means don't let me change your mind. I just thought I'd pass on to you what I found out.

Hope you all have a short and fast winter.

Can't wait for Spring !!

Good bit of info to know.I use stabilizer for storage and seafoam for the first 2 to 3 tanks of fuel when getting out of storage.

• 3 months later...

I agree good for a couple of tanks for your bike. I used it in my pick up truck. not a good idea it plugged up some sensors for about a wk or so. Great for a four wheeler if been sittin for awhile. Just my opinion.

Sta-bil in my opinion is the best, for storage

• Like 1

I put a can thru my 1999 wing this year on a suggestion from Don from Platinum Powersports after I was inquiring about rebuilding my carbs. Seems to have made a noticable difference so far,on cold startups and idling. I was running a dribble of Marvel Mystery Oil in gas, which Don recommended has suggested not to bother with on newer engines. Have only put 500 km on so far, half of that was with a tank of expensive 2008 gas.

You put in a whole can? I have used Seafoam and seemed to make a difference. Started using Evinrude Johnson (fuel system cleaner) a few years back. Bike/boat shop runs it through all their machines in the spring so figured worth a try. Run about an 0nce +1/2 through the tank at start of season. I try to make sure I'm going for a long run before I put it in. Really notice a + in performance :)

Den

I agree good for a couple of tanks for your bike. I used it in my pick up truck. not a good idea it plugged up some sensors for about a wk or so. Great for a four wheeler if been sittin for awhile. Just my opinion.

Sta-bil in my opinion is the best, for storage

Seafoam did the same in my truck. I also find stabil a good product to use before putting your ride away.

Den

• 2 weeks later...
Well after doing some intensive research on Seafoam, I now believe that Seafoam is NOT a good thing to use when storing a motorcycle, and perhaps even other machines, for a long period of time of 3 months or more. The reason is, apparently one of the additives in Seafoam is nafta, which according to what I've read, doesn't do the engine any harm, but it will cause rubber to rot, (e.g. rubber tubes or gas lines)

I love the stuff

Use it in everything from the cars to the bikes and the sleds

and put a little in every fill up or every other one as far as the bikes and the sleds go

BUT I DO NOT LEAVE IT IN THERE WHEN I STORE ANY OF THEM......................

I still use the good old redish STABLE stuff

A buddy just bought a "new" 1979 Yamaha 1100 that hasn't ran in years. We ran three tanks of fuel through the old girl with seafoam in it and the difference is remarkable. I'm not sure what the long term effects will be but the results speak for themselves.

• 1 month later...

My VN750 dropped a stator last November and it sat in the garage over the winter with untreated gas in the tank. Once I replaced the stator, I added 1/3 can of Seafoam to the gas, topped it with fresh fuel and started it up. Smoked for about 4 minutes then ran clean.

Bike runs much smoother with a lot more "snap" to the throttle. This stuff is nothing short of great. Safe for gas and diesel engines. Will use Stabil over the winter though.

Got mine at Napa. About $15/can taxes in.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Picked up a can of the stuff at Nappa last fall. Put 4 oz in the tank and ran the bike dry. Did this as people that I rode with, if they were behind me, were complaining my bike stunk. Bike ran a whole lot better and doesn't smell now. Of course, it may be because that I changed my air filter to a K & N OEM replacement, but my money is on the seafoam.

That was the smell of the old carbon and impurities been cleaned out of the combustion chamber and fuel system.The Sea Foam doing what it is supposed to do. :)8-)

I have used it on a few of my vehicles, and yes it is great. But here is my suggestion, after using it and the carbon is starting to burn out. Clean or replace the spark plugs, old carbon can foul or gum up the plugs fir a while. Use it and clean them and you'll have a great time.

• 1 month later...

Ive used Seafoam in my 85 Venture Royale for as long as Ive had the bike, its available at CDN Tires subsidiary Parts Source for about 10 bucks can. It has been a big help in keeping my Venture running well as the old girl really likes to get carboned up and I need to use about 25% of a can in the tank about once a month when I feel the bike starting to run roughly, then I take it out and run it and by the time that tank of fuel is gone everything is tiptop again. I also use it as a stabilizer and have never had an issue with bad fuel.

I noticed some guys saying that seafoam could be hard on rubber parts but according to Seafoams websites it is ok to use with anything rubber or not, and ive never noticed any rubber part giving me issues and after 70k kms on the bike I think i woulda noticed something by now.

On a bike that had sat a long time with bad gas, ive also drained a gas tank dry and then ran straight seafoam into carbs that were really gummed up, let the seafoam fill the bowls, let it sit for a day or 2 and then poured in some fresh gas and see the guys bike start right up.(but smoke like crazy for about 5 mins). its saved pulling carbs 3 or 4 times when helping other guys with bikes.

One issue I have noticed is that if your bike is running really roughly and you use Seafoam you may have to replace sparkplugs as the carbon loosened up seems to foul them occasionally.

Anyway here is the link to their website so you can check it out yourselves http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use- ... ducts.html

Friesman

Brian Fries

1st Officer

CMC042 Regina

• 2 years later...

I never use sea foam when I store the bike for the winter. I fill up the tank before putting her away for the winter and add the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer. And run the bike for about 10 - 15 minutes so the stabilizer moves through the fuel system.

But in the spring after running that winter fuel out I add sea foam to the 1st tank …and then an oz. or two every second fill up …. just to keep the carbs clean.

• 8 months later...

I have an older 1986 Virago 750...I did the treatment with Seafoam.Great cleaning solution.Throttle respond quicker,idle higher.You'll notice smoke,during the treatment..after, excellent engine respond is observed.