Rubber melted on Exhaust Pipes

Guest kinot1

Guest kinot1

I have rubber melted on my exhaust pipe, but I'm unsure as to what is the safest way to clean it off without scratching the exhaust.

Thanks

Bev.

At various times I have used gasoline, wd40, or chrome cleaner. They all work somewhat. A soft cloth and a lot of elbow grease and patience helps. New riding boots that didn't melt also helped. ;)

Guest merkin

mr.clean magic eraser...follow instructions...should do the trick.let me know if you used it.

merkin :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

I had the sole of a shoe melted on my pipes and after trying easy off, Goo Gone, Gasoline, chrome cleaner, still was not able to get the very last bit that had been scorched on to come off.

VERY carefully, I took a razorblade and peeled the remainder off.

May help.

• 1 year later...

Might not work on rubber, but i use oven cleaner on my exhaust if my work boots leave a mark.

Spray it on when the pipes are hot and whipe it right off, easy as that.

blue magic chrome wax polish !! proved to work excellent on a fellow members bike , even remove the blue tarnish on his pipes close to engine.Amazed him when i was done.You can buy this at cnd tire. CAREFULL on the steel wool , your eyes cant see the small scratches it will leave and can later start to form rust in the tiny scratches .Oven cleaner work good too but i would be scared to get it on the paint.Solvents work wonders as well because its all about losening the rubber and soften it up to remove it.Varsol ( might work) ,but MEK and Solvents and many more will remove it even better.Do not use abbrasives of any sort on your chrome.

let us know how you make out

good luck

Don

• 1 year later...

try that chrome polish cleanercalled BLUE. it has removed rust and bluing caused by pipes being to hot. you may be very surprised at how well this product works.

• 1 year later...

Oven cleaner is the bomb, but don't put it on when the pipes are real hot....let it cool down for 5-10 minutes and spray of the section that needs cleaning and DON'T OVERSPRAY!! Wipe off imediately witha clean soft cloth.....she should be good to go, nice and sparkly!!

• 2 months later...

I use a Harley Davidson product called BOOT OFF, wait till the pipes cool down and apply. I leave it on between 5 and 10 minutes. A plastic razor to scrape off and then some chrome polish. Looks good as new!

I had the same problem.......I used Easy-Off

I stuck a piece of cardboard behind the pipes so when I sprayed it on nothing else was sprayed..................I left it on for about an hour and most of it wiped off and repeated.

Easy Off oven cleaner is the best I think!! Just don't get it on other parts other than the pipes. Make sure you warm the pipes up for a bit, and let the stuff settle for 5 min or so and wipe off.

• 5 months later...

Anyone tried ice? When everything has been sitting awhile, try to harden the plastic with ice(cubes in a ziplock bag)...assuming they're chrome pipes and it's a plastic stuck on, it "should" peel off. Maybe be even try an ice-pack (like for sore muscles)