It is with great pride that I announce our CMC family is growing once again! This time we are welcoming our newest chapter into the fold! With relentless effort from Bill Boyd Irma and Marilyn Denyer please welcome CMC 093 Nackawic NB to the CMC!! Congrat ×

Single hose for premium fuel

Freeze

I'm back to riding after quite a few years. For a while I was doing autocross racing and always filled up at a gas station that had a dedicated hose for premium gas so as not to dilute my gas with the previous guy's 87 octane. Especially when I was keeping the tank only a quarter full to minimize weight. My new bike has a 13.5 liter gas tank and uses premium gas. The owner's manual says 90 octane. I have done some googling, and find anything from .5 to 2 liters estimated as the hose volume. For example: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/am-i-getting-hosed-by-regular-at-the-pump/article14041436/ 

However, I can no longer find gas stations with a separate hose for 91 octane gas. What do people do when forced to refuel when the tank is still not close to empty and the dilution will be greater?

Locally (Oshawa) to me there's a small independent gas station that still uses a completely separate pump for premium..might be worth looking for an indy and see what they have setup.

However, having said that, most premium gas is at least 92 octane, and the super premium stuff is 94.   Pumping 92 octane, with a ~13L tank, even with a 2L dillution of 87 octane I think you're still going to end up with at least 90 octane in the end.  If you go somewhere with 94, again, you're going to very likely still end up north of 92 in the end.

It irks me also, to be paying for 91 octane and getting 87 ethanol blend, but I carry a couple of bottles of octane booster in the saddlebag. there are some areas I've ridden that only sell regular gas. If this happens, I add a few drops of the additive, seems to work well