Being buffetted by the wind?

HI guys.

I'm a bit new to riding, so I've been riding for less than a year now and all I have is a 1981 Honda Twinstar. I've found that I can't go very far on the highway because when I hit 90+ speeds, I'm fighting with the wind all the time. I really don't know if my little Twinstar can handle the speeds, but it's mostly my feel when I head out into the highway. A lot of the rides in my chapter usually heads out onto the highway so I feel I couldn't participate because of that.

Anyone got tips on how to handle the winds?

Thanks guys.

You could install a windshield.  I am sure that it would help.  BTW, those little Hondas were great bikes!

I could. That's what I was considering what I could do. It might be because I would actually feel like I'm flying off my bike as I tried to put more throttle to it.

I'll definitely look it up, but I'm hoping if I buy a certain brand I could possibly put it onto a new bike if I decide to move up.

Certainly a windshield would help with buffetting as would a heavier bike. I still get buffetting on my bike from time to time and it is usually caused by having cross winds occurring hitting the bike (and me) from the side. My windshield is cut a little higher than most meaning that I actually look through the top 2 inches of the windshield. I find this helps with the wind but in poor weather it can be a little more difficult to see what is ahead of me. Most windshields allow for the rider to be looking slightly over the windshield but this again can also contribute to buffetting. :cool:

Yeah those crosswinds are something dangerous. I try to avoid trucks like the plague. But it's usually the front winds that I face when I go 90+.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look into getting a windshield.

If looking at a after market wind shield for your bike, look at the angle of the shield too. You want the wind to be rising over your head, but you should still see above it for best visibility.

Some after market brands attach to the handle bar only. These are unstable and can cause more vibration on your handle bars. Try to find ones that attach to the forks.

If you prefer to ride with no shied, hold on and ATGATT

Happy and Safe Riding to you. :cool: