With kick stand down will still drop into Gear and run. Why

Mr_D

I have a 1983 Yamaha Venture  I can drop it into gear with the side stand down and ride away. I have a spare side Kick Stand switch. I have checked the spare switch and the one on the bike with an Ohms meter and get the same results. Leading me to believe the issue is not with the switch. Where do I look now.    Have drove away to often with the dam thing down. 

I would suspect your wiring is open/broken or unhooked , if switches are good it likely is in circuit.

Check the wiring diagram to follow where starts and ends

Beginning to think in the actual neutral switch it self

Not sure if Neutral switch would cause that problem as you describe, Is the neutral switch not a internal switch in the transmission ?

I can't remember the website link but there used to be a good Yamaha forum that would be helpful for this query

Posted to Ventureriders .org as well

Yup that is the one, the other solution is to take off the kick stand and just keep going. 

Have since learned there is  relay as well that somehow is how involved in this.      Need to track that down and see if i have a spare of it. 

Update     Have checked both the conductivity on the side stand switch  and the side stand relay. I get the exact same results on spare parts off my parts bike  as I get on the parts on my bike.      Based on my knowledge I assume if the neutral light goes  when dropped into gear the neutral switch is good.   It wont start if it isn't in neutral.    Not fond of Dennis idea just to remove the side stand.            Any of our Gurus   have any input

From what I am reading and way I understand the symptoms , I would be believe  that the transmission neutral switch and kickstand switch are 2 different circuits and your issue is not associated with the transmission circuit.

A fellow that used to teach telephone and fiber optics skills always used to say " What do you know for sure?" Go to that point and work forward, took me a few course to figure out what he was getting at but if you use that principal it does work.  "What do you know for sure"  ??

The neutral switch is the only thing I cant test as I don't have a spare and based on how it is mounted I am not gonna pull it out.    Guess just have to make a point of always trying to be diligent at putting up the kick stand. 

Cant see 2 of each part being defective

• 2 months later...

Update this problem   Maybe my next post will be able to help someone point me in the right direction.

I have something that puzzles me. My bike will run after you drop it into gear with the kick stand down. But one thing I learned tonite puzzles me. I had to set the bike down on its side after I lost my footing. After standing it back up it had droped the bike into gear. Even when I pulled in the clutch it would still not start. I either had to pull the kick stand up to get the starter to engage with it in gear or else put the bike in nuetral to get the starter to engage, what am I missing?

Is there a safety switch on clutch lever?..my vstar had a sticky switch..little WD fixed that

• 3 months later...

Is there a safety switch on clutch lever?..my vstar had a sticky switch..little WD fixed that

Interesting   will have to look into that 

• 4 weeks later...

Your neutral light just makes a connection to send a ground to the light, that won't make any difference.

The side stand switch is just a simple micro switch, on or off.

You also have a clutch switch that ties into the equation that could possibly give you this issue you are having.