Lake Superior Circle

The Edge

Planning a trip circling Lake Superior with my wife this summer July 6th to 13th leaving from Kitchener Waterloo - North to Sudbury and west from there. Any tips on don't miss roads, Restaurants. Motels and Campgrounds.

You will enjoy the ride! Some beautiful scenery. Harvey and I did the loop a couple of years ago, although in the opposite direction, and enjoyed a great trip!

My favorite parts were from the Sault to Wawa, and from Thunderbay to Duluth.

Hope you have some great weather!

Eight of us in 003 are doing this loop at the end of July, we are in the planning stages right now, can't wait!

We did that trip a couple of years ago!  It is a great ride.  The one thing we were sure to do was get gas at every station around the north part in Canada.  There was plenty of gas available as it turned out.

Our guys group did that loop last June. We went across at Port Huron then run up to the Sault over the Mackinaw bridge and around clockwise.

Ontario side is very scenic so take time to stop and smell the roses and see the sites along the way.

The biggest disappointment of whole trip was the absolute raping we took on a motel or for better word a place to lay down for night in Nipigon Ontario. Motels and rooms were all booked in the area by construction workers and we ended up getting rooms above the local pizza place which rented rooms. I have paid less for a room at the Royal York, :( . Internet if you could get it was dialup Wifi, sad, No cell service on Bell Mobility right from Thunder Bay to Sault.  Good rooms in the Sault and Sudbury. When we were at Wawa it was too early in day to stop for day or could have stayed there but again rooms I had checked on there at Wawa motel were pricey too.

Be prepared to pay more for everything on Ontario side, gas, food, and motels.

One place you want to stay for sure is in Marquette Michigan, I have attached a business card, awesome place with great rates, close-by  restaurants and local entertainment etc.

We were a little pressed for time and the weather on the south side of the lake was not that favorable, we bypassed allot of the dips up along the southern shoreline. Apparently according to a waitress at the Marquette Red Lobster instead of riding on Hwy 28 east of Marquette from Shingleton to Seney which was 100 miles of mind numbing straight, flat road we should have taken H58. She said it is one of the best roads in the "Oupper" ;).

Lots of good roads and sites to see including the museum at Whitefish Point that has lot of history of great lakes and storms. 

I hope weather is warmer for you folks, 1st week of June 2013 was chilly and damp. The afternoon we crossed the Mackinaw bridge we had cross winds of 55mph, was well worth price of the toll for that thrill ride. 

If I have more flashbacks I will add to this post.

Here is the motel at Marquette.

Brentwood Motor Inn_0001.pdf