Dark side tire installed

Fuji

So I installed a car tire on my V2k Vulcan. Feels good and is fairly quiet but when the wife hops on it rubs when going over bumps. I noticed the tire seems wider. I went with a 205-60-16. Do you think that setting up the tension on the strut might help? Can't imagine what would happen this summer when we go on holidays and I have the trailer on the back and my 13 yr old daughter as well.  :(

Another option is to check with Dust Boots from 034. He runs double dark side on his 1500 wing. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it rubbing on bumps, or what?  I see you have edited your original post. 

If it is rubbing on bumps, where is it rubbing?

What PSI do you have the tire aired up to??

Yes. its rubbing on bumps. Not sure where as its been snowing for a few days now. Tire has 34lbs in it now but it was rubbing at about 26lbs. Haven't been able to get out with the wife again.

Post back here when you find out where it's rubbing (bottom of rear fender/swingarm etc)

May be all you need to do is stiffen up your rear suspension, inflate tire more, slight mod of fender, combination of those 3, or, you may need a slightly smaller diameter tire. (205/55-16, 195/60-16)

• Like 1

I've been thinking of going to the darkside for my sidecar bike.  The regular tires wear very quickly.

• Like 1

Post back here when you find out where it's rubbing (bottom of rear fender/swingarm etc)

May be all you need to do is stiffen up your rear suspension, inflate tire more, slight mod of fender, combination of those 3, or, you may need a slightly smaller diameter tire. (205/55-16, 195/60-16)

Dusty, I was able to adjust the strut a couple of days ago and finally got my daughter to go for a ride ( its been cold here ) Its still rubbing after turning the adjuster ring 1 full turn. Its rubbing on the left side at the point where the sidewall and the face come together. But not on the right side. I have a hitch on the bike and there is a metal brace that fits up against the bottom of the finder with the hitch bolted to it. That seems to be what its rubbing on. I could probably adjust the strut up more but I assume that I will have a rougher ride as it is adjusted up????

Dusty, I was able to adjust the strut a couple of days ago and finally got my daughter to go for a ride ( its been cold here ) Its still rubbing after turning the adjuster ring 1 full turn. Its rubbing on the left side at the point where the sidewall and the face come together. But not on the right side. I have a hitch on the bike and there is a metal brace that fits up against the bottom of the finder with the hitch bolted to it. That seems to be what its rubbing on. I could probably adjust the strut up more but I assume that I will have a rougher ride as it is adjusted up????

I'm assuming you had the hitch installed the same time as the CT?

Usually there is a way to adjust a hitch for a little bit of lateral movement. (at least on my receiver hitch there is)

See if you can adjust it so you eliminate the rub.

If there is no provisions for adjusting the hitch, then you will have to either go back to a stock OEM tire, or go with a slightly smaller tire, like I suggested earlier

The hitch was on the bike when I bought it 4 yrs. ago. The CT tire was just installed a month ago. Unfortunately, I can't see anything that can be adjusted on this plate as it is right up against the fender and looks like it came stock with the bike to help keep the fender solid. The one thing I might be able to do is remove the plate and hitch receiver and shave a 1/4in off the plate. Will look at it tomorrow.

That'll work.

Just make sure you grind it down smoothly so there is nothing jagged to the touch and then apply a couple coats of paint to the area you worked on.

Once you have the clearance issue fixed, it's then a matter of finding the 'sweet spot' for the CT's air pressure.

For me, it's usually been in the upper 40's for my bike, but I'm a fairly aggressive rider who loves the twisties!   :wink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Well, I finally managed to get my issues with the tire rubbing fixed. I was able to grind the lower plate back a bit ( kept it smooth ) and then painted the plate. I also adjusted the strut another turn. I really don't know why I didn't adjust that strut long ago because the bike floats across dips in the road much better now and no more rubbing with a passenger on.
  • Unfortunately, I'm now dealing with a couple of knocks that started this spring and have gotten to the point where I'm no longer comfortable taking her out on the highway until its fixed. It has a knock in the lower area that is more pronounced when its cold and a rattle just before I'm at the point where I need to shift the bike while accelerating. The knock sounds like a wrist pin and the rattle could be a chain but I honestly don't know enough about the engines to say for sure. Will be taking her in this week and hopefully it won't be to much to fix and won't keep me off the road for to long.
  • Anyways, thx again for your help in this matter.   Was much appreciated.
  •  

• 2 weeks later...