Seeking advice for my east coast trip...

Diesel

As posted in the forums, I am embarking on another adventure this summer. I am heading east this time, and having never been on either route I am wondering if anyone has a comment on whether I should ride highway 138 from Quebec City to Baie Comeau and then ferry over to Matane, or if I should stay on the south shore on highways 20 and 132.

Any feedback, commentary or advice is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Joe, stay on 138 and then board the ferry over to Matane, then do the Gaspe! (you can do the south shore from Rimouski to Montreal on the way back)

When you come off of PEI, grab this route to Cape Breton Island.    ;)

Thanks Dusty - that was almost precisely my plan. From Matane, I am probably going to follow the 132 all the way around the coast back to Campbellton and then take highway 11 to Shediac to highways 15 / 16 to PEI - and then grab your suggested route to Cape Breton. This is shaping up to be another amazing adventure! 

Make sure you take good rain gear, Joe!!!

Will do Dusty. I have a set of GKS II 2-piece rain gear that I have gotten a ton of use out of (purchased in Calgary during my last adventure), however it is starting to show signs of wear and tear, so I may upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are going to PEI and then to Cape Breton Island leave PEI by the bridge and not the ferry. The ferry cost us $40+ 2 years ago. If you can, do the cabot trail both ways and enjoy all the great scenery. Watch out for moose and bear Its a great trip. If you are heading to Nova Scotia be sure to go to Peggy's Cove and visit the memorial for Swissair flight 111

• Like 1

If you are going to PEI and then to Cape Breton Island leave PEI by the bridge and not the ferry. The ferry cost us $40+ 2 years ago. If you can, do the cabot trail both ways and enjoy all the great scenery. Watch out for moose and bear Its a great trip. If you are heading to Nova Scotia be sure to go to Peggy's Cove and visit the memorial for Swissair flight 111

Thanks for the tips Paul - I will keep them in mind. Definitely going to ride the Cabot Trail in both directions - and Peggy's Cove is on the itinerary too!

When are you planning to go and are you camping or Moteling?

I plan on leaving between June 24 and June 26. Camping as much as possible, but motels when the weather demands it.

You will not regret the ride along the north shore to baie comeau and the trip around the Gaspe Penninsula, one of the best roads I have ever ridden, lots of twists and turns, make sure brakes are in good shape, lots of steep grades and hairpins and fantastic scenery

I was told the same by another member - I am really looking forward to it!

Watch out for thieves at Peggy's cove.  They broke into our locked van and stole my purse with all my id including passport. Still worth going there but just a heads up.

Watch out for thieves at Peggy's cove.  They broke into our locked van and stole my purse with all my id including passport. Still worth going there but just a heads up.

Got it. Thank you!