It is with great pride that I announce our CMC family is growing once again! This time we are welcoming our newest chapter into the fold! With relentless effort from Bill Boyd Irma and Marilyn Denyer please welcome CMC 093 Nackawic NB to the CMC!! Congrat ×

Tip for installing Kuryakyn ISO Grips

AcesNEights

• Registered Users

So I nearly had a meltdown tonight.

I followed all the instructions that came with my ISO grips, and after gluing the grips on .... THE THROTTLE WAS STICKING OPEN, O M G !!!!!! NOT GLUED OPEN, JUST STICKING, WOULD NOT RETURN WITHOUT HELP FROM ME !!!!!  AAHHHHHHHHH

PANIC

PANIC

PANIC

My particular install was on a 7/8" bar with an open ended throttle tube.

My first reaction was that maybe some glue got pushed between the tube and the bar and was "gooping" things up, and if it was allowed to dry would be VERY VERY BAD.

I lit a smoke, sat down and took a deep breath thinking, "have I really messed up my new $100 grips ?" I was not looking forward to removing them in one piece so as to be able to reinstall them.

After a few minutes of playing around I could "feel" that it was right at the bar end I was having trouble. I realized that when I pushed the grip all the way onto the tube it had bottomed out creating a pressure point between the handlebar end and the inside of the ISO grip. 

This is when the MacGyver in me took over.

Simple answer, remove the pressure, thus freeing everything up.

I removed the 2 screws holding my throttle housing together, removed the top.

I then slid the whole throttle housing (including the tube with the attached ISO grip) towards the end of the bar, about 2-3 mm. Put the cover and screws back in, tightened it all up. AND GUESS WHAT ?

ISSUE RESOLVED - THROTTLE RETURNS AS IT SHOULD

So either have your throttle tube come past the bar end, or do not bottom the ISO grip so tight as it will push against any exposed part of the handlebar.

Here is a diagram I created in MS Paint for you visual folks.

b834.png

Hope this helps :D

The joys of DIY, :)

You reminded me of not that many years ago I replaced the grips on a Yamaha I used to own. My replacement grips were not that expensive ones but never the less, I cut the old one off the throttle side first and grabbed a new one out of the package. It seemed a bit snug going on, actually it was rather snug. I checked the package again and yup said to fit a 7/8"s bar measured grip yup should fit.

After the 2nd evening of trying to squeeze it on using every clamping device I had at my disposal I finally got it on the throttle side, lots of smokes too during all this. With much apprehension I went to go at the other side, cut off the old grip and when I went to slide the new one on I almost Impaled myself on the end of the bar as this side practically fell on and in fact would fall off. Talk about being POed, oh I was mad that someone sold me 2 different sized grips that I ended up use black electrical tape to reinstall my old grips back on. I cut the hard to install throttle side off and black taped the old one back on. :mad: :mad: :mad:

About a month later I was at another bike dealer and was looking at their display of grips, a salesman offered his assistance in selection and suggested the same set that I had bought earlier to which I replied "No damn way, I bought a set of those before and they would not fit, in fact I have 1 grip on a shelf yet that is too big".

The salesperson did a amazing job of not laughing out loud at me now that I think about it, he looked at me like I had 2 heads as I explained how I spent 2 nights trying to install 1 grip. He said "you do realize there is a left and right grip do you not"? Apparently "Not" would have been the correct answer for that question, but not to look stupid I decided to say I had to go and really did not need new grips the old ones were just fine. I am sure if I ever went back to that dealership again the fellow would remember me as the dumbass who put wrong grip on wrong side.

I still have 1 grip on my bench as a reminder that it never hurts to ask for help or assistance if in doubt . :wink:

• Like 2

• Registered Users

I was lucky with left vs right

The reason I decided to change the grips in the first place was because while pulling hard on the bars to put it on the centre stand, the throttle side grip slid about 2 inches away from the housing. I realized that the glue had long ago dried and broke down.

So the throttle side came off easy enough, just pulled and twisted it, it came right off. The clutch side was still holding, so I removed the cap, sprayed some WD-40 and with a flat head screwdriver worked the grip free. I went to the bike shop and grabbed a tube of grip glue (intent on putting original grips back on).

While sitting at home and looking at the grips I realized "hey one of these has a larger inside diameter" you could feel that the clutch side was pretty rigid (as rubber goes) but the throttle side was very weak in fact there was a spot that had almost worn right through. 

So ya thank god I didn't trip over that kind of oversight, I would just puke had I ruined those new $100 grips by putting the clutch side over the throttle tube.

I also kept the original grips, thinking if I sell the bike in the next few years, I can at least give the buyer the ORIGINAL grips. poor condition but original neverless.

I also installed a contoured throttle boss, it looks and feels great, can't wait to try it out. 

COME 
ON 
SPRING !