Ride to the east coast - Cabot Trail and....

Diesel

Keeping with the idea that good planning generally leads to few surprises, I am putting it out there now, in mid-January, that I plan on riding the Cabot Trail this season.

Now, those of you who are familiar with my riding style know that this can be done in 4 days. However, I do not necessarily want to make a whirlwind tour of it. I am very open to suggestion, and am even more flexible on my departure and return dates - keeping in mind that I plan on being in Ottawa for the CMC National Rally.

So, this is basically an open call for anyone who wants to commit to riding the Cabot Trail this season - and possibly making a real adventure out of the trip by, say, riding the Rock as well (Gros Morne anyone?)

I am thinking of anywhere from 5 to 14 days on the road, depending upon the interest that any of you have in joining. I have absolutely no set itinerary  - however I am not able to cross the border, so riding in the USA is out.

I do plan on camping as much as possible, and I am very comfortable with stealth / wild camping - just a heads up.

If there is enough interest, we can get have some Meet and Greet planning sessions. Otherwise, as usual, I will keep you posted on my plans and send pictures from the road.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great trip.  I'm planning to attend Atlanticade starting on June 27th, and will make my way to Cape Breton (and maybe my NFLD home if time/weather allow).  Still in the planning stages right now,so drop me a message if you think things may line up.

Cheers...

Sounds like a great trip.  I'm planning to attend Atlanticade starting on June 27th, and will make my way to Cape Breton (and maybe my NFLD home if time/weather allow).  Still in the planning stages right now,so drop me a message if you think things may line up.

Cheers...

Atlanticade sounds like a great way to start an Epic Motorcycle Adventure! I believe you may have helped me to at least narrow down my departure date from Ottawa. A tentative date of June 25 or 26 to leave Ottawa works for me!

Hey Joe.

I'm a new member (signed up yesterday) I happened upon your forum article and have always wanted to take a trip to Cape Breton. Now that I've retired I would like to realise this dream and join you for as long as possible. Only problem is I'm in London and would have to find someone from around here to accompany. So if you have any offers from around the London area, perhaps you'll let me know.

All the very best.

Les.  les.ersser@gmail.com

Hey Joe.

I'm a new member (signed up yesterday) I happened upon your forum article and have always wanted to take a trip to Cape Breton. Now that I've retired I would like to realise this dream and join you for as long as possible. Only problem is I'm in London and would have to find someone from around here to accompany. So if you have any offers from around the London area, perhaps you'll let me know.

All the very best.

Les.  les.ersser@gmail.com

I will certainly let you know Les - and welcome to the CMC!

It would be great to have you join me for this adventure. Who knows - I may be able to hook up with you along the way. I will be making my annual pilgrimage to Turkey Point on the 21st of June, or thereabouts - so lets play it by ear. For now, go ahead and plan on riding to Cape Breton at the end of June!

My plans are still not firmed up, but will be by the end of February...will post back when I  know more for sure.

PM me if you would like my email or other contact info...

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks as though there may be at least 2 members joining me for all or part of this adventure - bbbwood and Lesure have both expressed interest - great news, and I hope that the plan comes together so we can ride out in true CMC style!

If anyone else thinks that they would like to try something a little more adventurous than the 511, feel free to send me a pm or just post a reply here to the thread. There is still lots of planning time - as it stands right now I am looking to leave Ottawa on June 26, possibly staying in Quebec City the first night - open to suggestion on that - and arriving in Summerside PEI for the start of Atlanticade and overnight there for night #2 - and after that I am pretty much flying by the seat of my pants and whimsy :)

I plan on riding the Cabot Trail in both directions - I will be going to Meat Cove - I am going to ferry over to Newfoundland and Ride the Rock - and pretty much spend 8 days or so just exploring and enjoying the east coast.

So again, if any of this sounds appealing - come on and send an IMIN.

Hi Joe.

Les back again. Just read your latest post and the drool has already started. I'm up for it all plus anything else you can pull from your magic hat. 

I've started to drag out my camping gear. (looking out my window at 6 feet of snow and a thermometer that tells me its minus double figures outside, I have to wonder if I'm not getting a little too anxious).

Anyway keep me posted, I can't wait for the fun to start!!!

By the way what exactly is "IMIN"

Heheheheh....nice to hear that someone else is as excited for spring and the commencement of riding season as I am Les.

IMIN is the most frequently used form of saying "I am in", or " I'm in" - meaning I am up for whatever is being discussed at the time. It is generally the only response necessary to indicate that you wish to take part in a ride, event, gathering, etc.

You will become familiar with it, and a lot of other lingo my friend.

By the way - what do you ride Les?

Hey Joe.

Good to know that not everyone treats me like a Neanderthal (my kids think I'm too ANCIENT because I can't pick up their text talk). Anyway my ride is a Goldwing 1500 (I could'nt resist the extra luxuries)

When the snow's gone I'm hoping to do some riding in Ontario, The Bruce Peninsular etc. these will be 1 day or even weekend rides if you are interested and have the time we could always use my place as a base. I'm thinking around May.

That sounds like a great idea. I really enjoy riding in that area - Espanola, Manitoulin, SSMarie, Goderich, Saugeen Shores - absolutely wonderful riding.

I can easily see myself making a long-weekend trip out that way in May!

I am going back again this year but through the states, love New England, and will be in Cape Breton (where is was born) for Bike Fest. If you like a great time with great people consider being there the Aug 1st weekend. Also chech out Storming Fortess Louisburg on YouTube. Have fun guys!

Sounds great Old Skool - too bad you can't make it to Ottawa for the national rally that same weekend.

Enjoy your trip!

A group of 4 of us are heading out for the East Coast for 2 weeks of glorious riding on June 8th but we'll be back for a week and heading up to the New Liskeard Bikers Reunion before you guys head out on your adventure. If we come across any must see places/things I'll post it in case you want to check them out as well. If you guys love to ride we have some of the most picturesque scenery up here in the north (Sudbury) and encourage you to contact us and come up and join us for a ride sometime. I've met some of the greatest people in the CMC :-P

Right on TinSnip. Please do post some details of your trip out east - and I agree - there is some amazing riding out Sudbury way! Next  time that I am out that way I will drop you a line. :)

• Like 1

Hey Joe, there are a few of us from Manitoba heading east this summer... some just for the rally, others continuing on after the rally to the east coast and others travelling earlier and ending up at the rally towards the end of their travels. My wife & I were out to Cape Breton last year and are looking to spend some more time there, what an awesome place to tour!! Have yourself a great trip and maybe we'll see you in Ottawa at the rally!! Later...

• Like 1

Hey Joe, there are a few of us from Manitoba heading east this summer... some just for the rally, others continuing on after the rally to the east coast and others travelling earlier and ending up at the rally towards the end of their travels. My wife & I were out to Cape Breton last year and are looking to spend some more time there, what an awesome place to tour!! Have yourself a great trip and maybe we'll see you in Ottawa at the rally!! Later...

Hope to see you in Ottawa for the rally Al. And if you have any tips for my east coast adventure please don't hold back!

Not sure how much of the maritimes you're wanting to check out, but if you've got the time to spend... I would recommend a drive along the "Shore Road" in eastern New Brunswich from Shediac north along Hwy#134 and into Kouchibouguac National Park right up to Baie-Sainte-Anne; or a tour around Funday National Park in southern New Brunswich with a stop at the Hopewell Rocks (make sure you ride the senic route (Hwy#915) one way or the other); or spend a couple days touring PEI, lots of great roads there to explore ( make sure you stop in to say Hi to HotRod and the gang in Summerside... great people!!). The list can go on & on Joe, hope I haven't side tracked you too much... ;D

• Like 1

Not sure how much of the maritimes you're wanting to check out, but if you've got the time to spend... I would recommend a drive along the "Shore Road" in eastern New Brunswich from Shediac north along Hwy#134 and into Kouchibouguac National Park right up to Baie-Sainte-Anne; or a tour around Funday National Park in southern New Brunswich with a stop at the Hopewell Rocks (make sure you ride the senic route (Hwy#915) one way or the other); or spend a couple days touring PEI, lots of great roads there to explore ( make sure you stop in to say Hi to HotRod and the gang in Summerside... great people!!). The list can go on & on Joe, hope I haven't side tracked you too much... ;D

Thanks Al, I really do appreciate any and all suggestions from those who have 'been there, done that'. I plan on spending about 12 days on the road, so I will definitely try to put your suggestions down on the itinerary as it develops. And I will be sure to say 'Hey' to HotRod and the 069.

• Like 1

Hey Max, There are a few of us from Manitoba heading your way this summer... PM me your contact info and hopefully we can meet up and take you up on your "5 cent tour"! Looking forward to seeing more of Cape Breton!

Hey, when you get near the Island (CAPE BRETON) if I am around, will meet up and give you the 5 cent tour..... 

Take care and I will be watching the site......

Max

I will certainly drop you a line max1....I will pm you as the departure point nears!!!...

Hey joe if you make it to Newfoundland by all means contact us in St John's or give us a heads up on where you plan to be,we always welcome new members to the ROCK....

Brad

3rd Officer

• Like 2

If you are still on CB Island Sunday 27 Jul, you can take in some Scot heritage at the annual Broadcove concert (near Inverness). There are also many local gatherings and concerts that are free, such as Port Hawkesbury's concert on the Granville Green series. It would be definitely worth your time to stop at the Tourist Info just after the causeway to see what's happening when and where.

Hey joe if you make it to Newfoundland by all means contact us in St John's or give us a heads up on where you plan to be,we always welcome new members to the ROCK....

Brad

3rd Officer

I will definitely be making it to the Rock Brad....can't come that far and NOT ride Gros Morne!...besides, my mom was born and raised in Cornerbrook - I think the area was called Buckles Valley - so I am going to do a bit of a heritage ride too!!!

I will be touring the Island, and you will most certainly be hearing from me. Thanks man!

If you are still on CB Island Sunday 27 Jul, you can take in some Scot heritage at the annual Broadcove concert (near Inverness). There are also many local gatherings and concerts that are free, such as Port Hawkesbury's concert on the Granville Green series. It would be definitely worth your time to stop at the Tourist Info just after the causeway to see what's happening when and where.

I am afraid that I will be back in Ottawa by that point Taskr - I will be back at work July 14 - but I do appreciate the tips :)