Buying gas in the USA with a Canadian credit card..

Wingnut

Often when using a Canadian credit card to "Pay at the pump" in the US, Canadians are frustrated because the pump wants your "Zip Code", a five digit number that is part of every American address.

Canada uses "Postal Codes", Six digits consisting of three numbers and three letters.  I doesn't work for the machines.

I have been very successful using my Postal Code numbers followed by two zeros.

Example:  Your postal code is  M9R 3Y6

Use the three numbers as they appear in the code  9,3,6 and follow them with two zeros giving the number 93600. 

Enter it as your Zip code.

This usually works for me but I have friends who have tried it and found that it doesn't work very often for them.

I think it's worth a try to avoid going into the station and lining up to pre-pay for your gas, filling your tank and going back to line up to get a receipt, your credit card or your change.

Good luck with it.

Wingnut

CMC 008

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I complained about this and what it does is match the zip code to the credit card billing address to prevent fraud.  If you stole the card you might not know the billing address.  PITA but I get it.  Go inside and they take anything and most of the time dont ask for ID...go figger.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...