It is with great pride that I announce our CMC family is growing once again! This time we are welcoming our newest chapter into the fold! With relentless effort from Bill Boyd Irma and Marilyn Denyer please welcome CMC 093 Nackawic NB to the CMC!! Congrat ×

noise in 5th gear on 650 vstar.

Tripod1327

I have a 98 v star 650 with 52000km on it and just recently it has started to make an awful gear winning noise in 5th gear only. It has always been noisy in 5th but now its very noisy. Any ideas? I had the bike up on a lift and shift it to 5th and the noise seams to be in the trany. I really want to go to dover but not sure its going to make it.

I have a 98 v star 650 with 52000km on it and just recently it has started to make an awful gear winning noise in 5th gear only. It has always been noisy in 5th but now its very noisy. Any ideas? I had the bike up on a lift and shift it to 5th and the noise seams to be in the trany. I really want to go to dover but not sure its going to make it.

We just had a member demolish the rear end on her 650, not sure if it was making noise before but the last sound it made was not a happy one.

Turns out the driveshaft was bone dry and was never lubed in long time, the friction got that warm it sort of melted the coupler into the rear end. There is a U joint at rear of gearbox running thru the tube then connects to front of rear end, pull apart and make sure shaft is lubed. Hers was full of rust and pieces.

I checked the wife's 650 and it has been greased regularly before she bought it.

Not sure if that may be your problem or not but should be checked anyway ;)

It is the final drive on the rear wheel had to replace mine this year was making awful sound thought it was the front wheel but it was the final drive bearing blew apart

you can not buy the parts alone you have to purchase the final drive as a complete unit

cost about $1200.00 might get a discount depends on where you buy it

bought mine at oakville yamaha cost total was $1175.00