It is with great pride that I announce our CMC family is growing once again! This time we are welcoming our newest chapter into the fold! With relentless effort from Bill Boyd Irma and Marilyn Denyer please welcome CMC 093 Nackawic NB to the CMC!! Congrat ×

Question about painting a bike.

Guest Thunder Lips

Guest Thunder Lips

Hey everyone, I ride a '97 Suzuki Marauder 800. It's red and silver with a whole lotta chrome. I do t really like how the red looks with the chrome so I was thinking of painting it black. And leaving the silver. I have never painted a vehicle before, is it fairly straight forward? I have a garage I can make a spray booth in. Or should I just bring it to a body shop and get it painted professionally? What would be the rough estimate cost of just painting the red? I'll attach a photo. 

Thank you. suzuki  vz 800 97.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think black would be great but I would paint the silver area satin black if anything. I had a 1986 Virago a while back and what I did was of course removed everything that I wanted painted off first thing then what I did was prepped it. Sand it down good and then I primed it with good primer three coats then I brought it to a good body shop. I called a few place first in the area that I lived in at the time and got the best price. By prepping it I saved myself some money, that's what I did, trying to paint it yourself could be tricky you could run into problems and would need to start over. You could go to a wrecking yard and pick up a small piece of door or hood or something,,, sometimes the wreckers will just give it to you and bring it home and practice on it if you want to do it yourself that is. Like I said the silver areas of your bike I would paint it satin black or flat black these colors are popular now on bikes. Hope this helps out. 

One idea I was told about me painting my bike, and having no experience. Was using Plasta Dip, If you make a mistake you can peel it off like a bandage without hurting paint. in fact it would act as a protector of original paint. But that's just an idea.

Hope help.

You can also get it wrapped. Imagine having a large weather proof sticker placed on it. It will most likely be cheaper, and it provides a protective element as well. If done correctly, nobody would be able to tell the difference. One of the guys in London has  a snakeskin wrap. It's pretty cool, and very unique.

Looked great , save your money. Too many Black Bikes . Now  -  Yellow and Chrome - WOW !  About 3 years

ago I restored a 1980'Yamaha triple 850. A body shop here in Port charged $300. to do the tank and side

covers ( in black) :)......Stinky  Port Alberni  2004 1700 Road Star ( sand clr and chrome).