It is with great pride that I announce our CMC family is growing once again! This time we are welcoming our newest chapter into the fold! With relentless effort from Bill Boyd Irma and Marilyn Denyer please welcome CMC 093 Nackawic NB to the CMC!! Congrat ×

popping backfiring through carbs

Blues

i have 2004 suzuki intruder 1500 lc, have on vance and hines started popping on decel and spurtering through carbs. took alook at the carbs has no adjusting screws any ideas? thanks

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for the late reply was on holidays. thanks for the info, i found out that on these bikes you cant adjust the carbs when running have to pull carbs off in order to adjust mixture. i did that gave it a 1/4 turn is better but have to pull them again still has minor pop a real headache.

• 1 year later...

I also own a 2004 vl 1500 lc , have experienced the same issue you have , all I did was to buy higher octane fuel & the issue went away, it's now been almost 2 years & no more pops or backfires.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Had the same type of issue with my '03 ...turns out, if stainless needlejets are used in rejetting for aftermarket pipes, the SS jets will egg out the orifices in the carbs and they are ruined...only two solutions are available ... replace carbs with new and rejet with non SS jets for your pipes ...carbs now will cost upwards of $500.00 Canadian ... for the same price, you can remove them, pack them up and ship them to one of  only two places in the world that are capable of rebuilding and jetting for more power and better fuel consumption.  I went with VTwin Thunder in Corona, California and highly recommend his work.  He rides an LC and does carbs for owners from all over the world. Shipping both ways and rebuild cost was just under C$500.00, so, quite a saving over buying new and rejetting.  

Very happy with the results!!