Blues

popping backfiring through carbs

11 posts in this topic

i have 2004 suzuki intruder 1500 lc, have on vance and hines started popping on decel and spurtering through carbs. took alook at the carbs has no adjusting screws any ideas? thanks

If your using  a low octane gas it will backfire

Check for leaks around the exhaust ports, and any vacuum leaks around intake manifold and carb mounts.

i have 2004 suzuki intruder 1500 lc, have on vance and hines started popping on decel and spurtering through carbs. took alook at the carbs has no adjusting screws any ideas? thanks

Hi Blues.  Although I have never worked on an Intruder 1500, I have re-jetted a number of bikes and they all carburetors had a PMS mixture adjustment screw .  From the factory the PMS screws are hidden underneath a brass cap / plug on the bottom of each carb.  These brass caps have to be removed to access the PMS screws.  Usually done by using a 1/8" drill bit, then a screw (into the drilled hole) and pliers (to pull on the screw to take the cap out).  CAUTION:  Do not proceed until you have confirmed exactly what cap needs to be removed from your carburetor, drill slowly and lightly, and use a sleeve (small piece of brake line) as a 3/16" max. drill stop (you don't want to go too deep or you will damage the PMS screw).  Once the PMS caps have been removed, you can adjust the PMS screws.  Usually 1/4 turn out (counter-clockwise) on each PMS screw will provide more fuel at idle to 1/4 throttle - and on deceleration.  Please let us know how it works out for you, Ride on,

sorry for the late reply was on holidays. thanks for the info, i found out that on these bikes you cant adjust the carbs when running have to pull carbs off in order to adjust mixture. i did that gave it a 1/4 turn is better but have to pull them again still has minor pop a real headache.

sorry for the late reply was on holidays. thanks for the info, i found out that on these bikes you cant adjust the carbs when running have to pull carbs off in order to adjust mixture. i did that gave it a 1/4 turn is better but have to pull them again still has minor pop a real headache.

If a 1/4 turn out helped, another 1/4 turn out should git-r-done  :)

Here's a link to a carb adjustment tool that may work without pulling the carbs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-Motorcycle-Carburetor-Pilot-Screw-Adjusting-Tool-Carb-Mixture-08-0119-/280877525162?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41659ae8aa&vxp=mtr

nice tool, going to order it now thanks for the help much appreciated!

nice tool, going to order it now thanks for the help much appreciated!

Ride on brother :)  My pleasure.

I also own a 2004 vl 1500 lc , have experienced the same issue you have , all I did was to buy higher octane fuel & the issue went away, it's now been almost 2 years & no more pops or backfires.

Did you ever get your carb issues sorted out? 

Had the same type of issue with my '03 ...turns out, if stainless needlejets are used in rejetting for aftermarket pipes, the SS jets will egg out the orifices in the carbs and they are ruined...only two solutions are available ... replace carbs with new and rejet with non SS jets for your pipes ...carbs now will cost upwards of $500.00 Canadian ... for the same price, you can remove them, pack them up and ship them to one of  only two places in the world that are capable of rebuilding and jetting for more power and better fuel consumption.  I went with VTwin Thunder in Corona, California and highly recommend his work.  He rides an LC and does carbs for owners from all over the world. Shipping both ways and rebuild cost was just under C$500.00, so, quite a saving over buying new and rejetting.  

Very happy with the results!!